Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January weather, surprise, and expectation

I live in Vanguard's off-campus housing and as a result, I end up riding my bike to and from class at least once a day. It's wonderful. I love it.

This past week, it's been hard to picture anything more wonderful than the deliciously warm air running its fingers through my hair and caressing my face and arms as I pump the peddles. The sun shines so happily in the sky, and life just feels good and alive. It's warm enough that I don't need to wear layers of clothing, but not so hot that I get sweaty from a simple ride to or from class.

Maybe it's the endorphins, maybe it's the ability to peddle out stress, maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the quiet time to just focus on seeing if I can make it to the light before it turns red...but those bike rides have been absolutely beautiful and wonderful and...fun.

And then I remember - "This is January."
"It's supposed to be cold."

"What's wrong with the freaking weather!?"
I don't know, but all I can say is that I'm enjoying it. I'm a big fan of weather, mind you, and I'm certainly looking forward to the chill returning. But in the meantime, I'm making most of the joyful weather. Somewhere in there, I think that there's a lesson hidden about expectations. When I relax on the expectations that I have in life, I can more enjoy what's in front of me. Just take the experiences as they come.

It's like a little love-note from God. "Hey Sweetheart, there's a lot that you don't have control over. Relax. Trust in me. Find joy."

I wish I could keep that in mind more often. Usually, I cling to something 'til my fingers bleed...only to find later that whatever it was I was trying to control was never something I was supposed to grasp onto in the first place. This desperate reaching - where is the joy or the life in that?

The cold weather will return. I believe that. But it's good to focus on relaxing and enjoying what I have in the meantime. I certainly can't change the weather, anyway.

1 comment:

Lauren Gallegos said...

That was beautifully said Becca. I think It's supposed to rain the next few days though....at least here in Brea. Maybe it will stay nice and sunny at school and you can continue to enjoy the unexpected warm weather. :) I'm glad you have taken what God has provided and seen the good in it. Most people would just complain and gripe about the hot weather. :)