Thursday, March 8, 2012

Walk with me.




It's an interesting thing - often when people find out that I'm in seminary, they think that I must have it all together. That I have all the answers. That I'm some sort of Super Christian.

But the truth is this: there are days like today when I am caught by a strong nagging doubt in the midst of otherwise enjoying (dare I say "worshipping?) God. The interruption comes something like this - "Is this really what I believe? Is this really the reality that I accept? Is this really the Truth that I believe in? Am I sure that it's not some sort of fairytale that I've bought into? This Jesus...really?" Blindsided by my own doubt, I am left stunned and feeling as if I'm standing on spiritually wobbly legs.

Yet, in those moments of introspection, I answer with a (shaky), "Yes." Because that is what I believe. And the more I self-examine my beliefs, the stronger that "yes" becomes (thank God). There's something to be said for having reason - after all, I am a reasonable creature (and by that I mean I have the ability to reason).  Logically speaking, I can understand how the gospel could sound absolutely crazy - but I have seen and experienced what could easily be called acts of mystery. Acts of the spiritual. I call them acts of God.
It comes to this: my faith is not contingent upon having all the answers. I am learning. I am growing. I stumble, but God extends His hand to me and lifts me back up. I am walking down a path on a spiritual journey through life. So are you.
So, let's journey together.

1 comment:

Eric said...

You mean I'm not the only one who doesn't have it all together? whew...