Friday, May 13, 2011

When we were children we played

I stopped for gas on my way to adventure a few nights ago. My eyes wandered as I waited for my truck to fuel up when a sudden flash of movement pulled me from my meandering thoughts.

In the intersection before me a little girl raced with her arms outstretched, holding her blanket like a cape. It fluttered madly behind her as her father followed close behind at a more leisurely pace. Once they reached the sidewalk, she wrapped the blanket tightly around her and walked with him into the 7eleven across the street. All the while, she fidgeted with her blanket, perhaps mentally exploring the possibility of "flying" again.

I stood captured by her because in that moment she reminded me of my own childhood and those moments when I just knew that if I figured out the secret in taking off, I might truly fly. In those moments, I was good. I was free. I was a heroine simply waiting for my opportunity to show my worth. I was full of crazy, exuberant life and the world before me was full of opportunities. And I was safe because I knew that my protector was near.

While I am certainly thankful for (and happy with) the life that I have now, I cannot help but look back on moments like those with a slight twinge of nostalgia. In my adult life now, I am facing the opportunity (and challenge) to fly. I still know that my Protector is near. I also know that while the world is full of open possibilities, but it is also full of more risk - danger. That's what makes life an adventure, I suppose. But, like the song says...

wish I didn't know the meaning of fear

No comments: