Thursday, April 1, 2010

In which the writer writes...

So then I shot that sucker right out of the air. Bam. Right out of the sky.

My house is under attack by moths. Of course, we've responded to the challenge.
The problem with moths is that they leave grossness all over your hands when you smack 'em.
Somehow, I feel like there's metaphor in this.

I ran out of deodorant the other day...as in completely ran out...for a few days, actually. Oh, of course I was able to borrow some from the "emergency" ration at the end of the hall, but I hated it. I think it smelled weird. It was kind of a masculine smell, which I thought was interesting because it was labeled as "Jordache for Women." To make up for it I bought three different kinds from the store...and razors...and shaving cream. (So much for sticking to my shopping plan.) Ironically enough, one of them was a man's deoderant. (Why can't I properly spell that word on my own?) It's called "Wild Country" and I like it. Go figure.

So, things as of late:
~ I thought Grandpa Russ was going to die. But he didn't and he hasn't. It was the kind of thing where I had stopped praying for healing. And then God did it anyway. Oh me of little faith. And oh, what a great and loving God.

~ I wasn't sure how long my client has. I was told he's "living on borrowed time." But aren't we all? It turns out that he could go tomorrow...or he could go 30 years from now. That's the way it is with hearts. I've been praying this time. I have more peace about it. Funny though, how I can pray for him, but give up so easily on Grandpa Russ. I think God sees how bruised my heart is...
it's like He whispers, "Don't give up. Have faith in me."

~ Funny - how I'll give up on praying for the plausible, but hold on so fiercely to praying for the impossible.

~ I'm going to be in a film tomorrow for a grad student at Chapman. I'm just excited.

~ I finished my painting on Sunday.

~ After my success with TEN, I've been encouraged to submit my ten-minute plays to another, bigger festival in northern Arizona. There's a small entrance/submission fee, but I think I'm going to do it.

~ I found out on Monday that I'm going to be published at the undergrad level in the literary journal Synecdoche, again. I remembered yesterday that I submitted two pieces. I'm not sure which got chosen. (maybe one...or the other...or both!) However, the point is: I'm excited.

~ Today is April Fool's Day, which I hate.

~ Today is Maundy Thursday, which I don't know much about but feel irresistibly pulled to anyway. I can't help but feel drawn in by a sense of holy mystery. Even the term "holy week" has a gravitational feel to it for me.

~ I need to file my taxes.

No comments: